Only run in the morning if you have slept wellIf you have not slept enough, then you will lack concentration and efficiency throughout the day. Two things that us runners definitely don’t want to miss! Use these tips to have a good start to the day
- Get your sports clothes ready the night before, so that you have as little as possible to do in the morning
- Get up as soon as your alarm goes off! No snoozing even for 5 minutes! Rise and shine!
- Stretch out and move about so that your body can liven up!
- Running pants on, t-shirt and jackets on top, get your shoes on and let’s go! Oh yeah, don’t forget your keys…
Sport in the morning requires an extensive warm-upI have already mentioned that stretching is very important. That is because our joints stiffen overnight because we move less and so there is less fluid in our joints. Cartilage and spinal discs lose their elasticity, which of course we cannot use in sports, since the pressure load is already quite high. Before we start running properly, we should also do a few stretching exercises and then start especially slowly.
BreakfastBefore running you should drink a litre of water, since the body develops a fluid deficiency over night. In order to avoid dehydrating and to be able to reach a regular performance, you should therefore compensate in advance. We would advise against coffee, since it strengthens the need to urinate. And then there’s the matter of saving energy… Overnight our glycogen storage empties, so that we barely have any energy to use in the morning.
- Glycogen supplies are very quickly depleted and the body switches to burning fat instead. With morning sport the body therefore learns to use free fatty acids earlier and more.
- In the long run our body learns to use the available fuels more efficiently, whereby our basic endurance increases.
- We start the day with satisfaction and are fully awake when we get to work and are therefore motivated.