HIKING TROUSERS - ROBUST BASIC CLOTHING
Jeans and thick cotton or corduroy trousers do not suit the outdoors. They are heavy, chafe, absorb moisture quickly, are not windproof and take a long time to dry again. Outdoor and hiking trousers, on the other hand, are lightweight, made of fast-drying functional materials that are also robust, water-repellent, windproof and breathable. Some also have a proportion of elastic materials that allow you freedom of movement. Even waterproof membranes are incorporated into some outdoor trousers. There are also lined thermal trousers that explicitly protect you from the cold.
OUTDOOR TROUSERS: TYPES & MODELS
Outdoor trousers come in these lengths and styles:
- Outdoor shorts are particularly suitable for warmer days. Calves and knees are exposed. On the one hand, this gives you enough freedom of movement, and on the other, your legs get some cooling air.
- Three-quarter outdoor shorts: The mixed form. Not completely long, not really short either. Three-quarter-length trousers reach well above the knees, but leave some space between hiking boots, socks and waistband.
- Long outdoor trousers: Long trekking trousers are the first choice for cooler days, as weather, sun or insect protection and for rough terrain. Long trousers also offer more storage space and pockets.
- Zipped trousers: You can shorten or remove the leg lengths with a zip and turn the hiking trousers into shorts. Outdoor trousers with zip function are therefore particularly suitable for the transitional period between summer and winter.
OUTDOOR TROUSERS: TEXTILES & MATERIALS
Not only the length, but also different materials equip functional trekking trousers for different conditions. You'll find waterproof as well as warming and environmentally friendly models in our Outdoor Shop:
- Plastic-free variants: Apart from wool and leather, only viscose, modal or lyocell are truly natural textiles. Outdoor trousers made from recycled polyester or mixed forms are therefore more common. This way you can be out and about in nature and do something for the environment at the same time.
- Merino: Sheep's wool offers all the functional properties such as moisture transport and quick drying, while at the same time keeping you warm. Merino also prevents odour build-up - a pleasant side effect.
- Gore-Tex: Windproof, water-repellent, yet breathable. The Gore-Tex membrane is also suitable for outdoor trousers. Especially for hardshell models, which you put on when the weather suddenly takes a turn for the worse.
- Futurelight: Water-repellent meets air-permeable. The North Face also has its own high-tech membrane for the outdoor sector. Futurelight uses a nano-fibre structure that protects you from moisture, but at the same time doesn't make you sweat.
- G-1000: Cotton for outdoor trousers. Fjällräven makes it possible. G-1000 is made of polyester on the one hand and cotton on the other, and also has a coating of Greenland Wax. This makes the trousers water-repellent. The material also protects against UV rays and mosquito bites.
- Softshell is a generic term for soft, very dense fibres that are elastic and smooth. Outdoor trousers are available either with or without a membrane. Schöller offers the second option with its dryskin technology. Gore-Tex Infinium Windstopper and Polartec Powershield again rely on a membrane.
FUNCTIONAL TROUSERS: PROPERTIES & FEATURES
Optimal functionality, practical features and the right cut. In a way, you put together your outdoor trousers exactly according to your wishes, preferences and preferred hiking conditions:
- Pockets: Like any other type of trousers, outdoor trousers usually have pockets at the back and front. You can stow your wallet and smartphone in them. Cargo trousers offer additional options with extra pockets on the left and right thighs.
- Zip and elastic: Zip trousers quickly turn your long outdoor trousers into outdoor shorts, equipping you for any temperature change. Another option is the elasticated waistband. Simply push the trousers upwards and fasten them over the calf with one pull.
- Breathability: It's not just the upper body that needs air circulation. The climate around the legs also determines how pleasant your outdoor excursion will be. Breathable outdoor trousers prevent air from building up under the fabric.
- Thermal outdoor trousers: When temperatures drop, normal materials are no longer necessarily sufficient. Thermal outdoor trousers therefore have an insulating effect, while at the same time ensuring effective moisture transport.
- Inner mesh or inner shorts: To reduce pressure from the saddle, you may need some padding on the bike. At the same time, you don't want to go into the mountains wearing just tight cycling shorts. Shorts with padded inner pants are the solution. There are also outdoor shorts with inner mesh that improves air circulation.
- Durability: Of course, you don't want to worry about your shorts just because you get caught on a rock or branch. That's why outdoor models are generally made more robust. Polyamide and ripstop are considered particularly durable.
OUTDOOR TROUSERS - FINDING THE RIGHT SIZE
Not too tight, not too loose. Your outdoor trousers should not slip, but at the same time give you enough room to move without chafing. Long trousers reach to the ankle or slightly above it. There are also models with pre-shaped knees that adapt slightly to the shape of your legs. Basically, you prevent the trousers from rubbing anywhere and leaving unpleasant chafing marks on longer excursions. For example, if you wear functional pants under your outdoor trousers, make sure there is enough room.
HIKING TROUSERS: CARE AND CLEANING
For superficial, light dirt, you can first shake out the trousers thoroughly. This is often enough. For mud, let it dry first and then brush it off. However, you should machine-wash your outdoor trousers regularly, unless the label says otherwise. Washing generally loosens dirt particles that could impair functional properties. Always use a liquid detergent, or a special functional detergent for membranes. Powder, like fabric softener, is not an option. Avoid the spin cycle and use the delicate wash cycle.
OUTDOOR TROUSERS AT KELLER SPORTS
Quality knows many names: The North Face, adidas Terrex, Fjällräven, Haglöfs, Peak Performance, Salomon, Schöffel. At Keller Sports you'll find the best brands for outdoor trousers online. Suitable outdoor trousers for men and women. Order your favourite outdoor trousers online at Keller Sports. By the way, you can regularly find reduced outdoor trousers offers in the outdoor sale. Be quick and find the right outdoor trousers now!